Suicide prevention is just one question away. “Are you thinking of killing yourself?”
Dr. Richard Doss is an award-winning clinical psychologist who prevents suicide. With your sassy psychologist Host Dr. Margarita Gurri, Dr Doss helps us start this difficult taboo conversation and discusses what to do about it to help save a life.
Dr. Richard Doss is a Clinical Psychologist with the Department of Veterans Affairs Vet Center with years of experience as a trauma specialist. Not long ago he was the Suicide Prevention Manager for the Department of Defense working with the US Army Reserve. He has trained hundreds of Soldiers and their families in the art of Suicide Awareness and Suicide Prevention.
Tune in and Touch Base to start that conversation that just might save a life. Join your host, Dr. Doss and the Touch Base Tuesdays’ community of listeners. Call: 929-477-3765
The question for today is. “How do I help someone who is thinking of killing themselves?”
- Ask, “Are you thinking of killing yourself?”
- If, “Yes”, ask “What’s going on?” Allow them to tell the story.
- Listen for reasons to live.
- Set up Action Plan: secure guns, hospital, counselor…
- Take Action: Call 911 or escort to a hospital, clinic, mental health professional…